Let them drink beer!

Friday, September 26, 2008

(2) Comments

On a day like this staying sober should be considered a cardinal sin. Hence I popped in to a neighbouring off-licence, which at first glance seemed to offer a wider range of wines than the supermarkets in the Neverlands. I haven't explored Albert Heijn top shelves yet, but it seems that it is hard to find something moderately better than plonk - haven't noticed too many bottles for around 10 Euro and when the ones for 4 are actually quite good I was hoping to get some bargains, alas...

So the local one had a nice selection of beers (I have a bit of a soft spot for the Belgian ones), but in terms of wines the selection was rather meagre apart from a few Italian and Spanish reds (the selection of whites seemed neglected) there were the usual few expensive Chablis and Sancerres (same 12-15 Euro like in Dublin) and a few odd bottles of Aussie reds. Come on! And when I asked if they had any Kiwi wines the response was "No, just a few Australian". My my my... Just because the two countries are quite close doesn't make their wines the same. That's a rant from somebody who used to be part of "Oddbins" for about 3 years (perhaps a bit two long, but enough to know my way around in the terroirs of oenology). Once I learn a bit more than de rekening, alstublief and dank u wel I might have to cash in on those crumbles of knowledge as I will have to look for a job in the Neverlands, unless I am lucky to become a research assistant of some professor - a (rather well paid) job that is not that easy to get though. But think - besides the required bibliographies, copy making and other usual errands I could suggest wines for academic lunches! Sipping a refreshingly crisp Marlborough Sauvignon or a seductive Greco di Tufo and discourse Deleuze. A lip smacking delight! (Every single professor seems to be mentioning him and after reading a a few essays from his Desert Islands and Other texts I am starting to understand why.) Actually, discourse matching could become a totally new field in oenology.

Anyway, so I stocked up on some beers (since they are much cheaper than wine and VERY cheap compared to the country of Guinness).



A rough comparison:

Leffe Brune - 0.9 Euro vs 2.19
Hoegaarden - 0.59 vs 2.19
Westmalle Dubbel - 0.89 vs (haven't seen that one in the shops, but would probably round 2.50 and about 6 Euro/btl in one of the few international beer bars Porterhouse). Ouch!

Now I have to hunt down some glasses. Any suggestions apart from a stroll through the city centre at around 1 am? :)

PS Statiegeld - is that tax? Which is actually not included in the price, just checked the receipt. And does it only apply to booze? Even so - the prices still are unbelievably Neverlandish.
Bookmark this post:
Ma.gnolia DiggIt! Del.icio.us Yahoo Furl Technorati Spurl Reddit Google

2 Responses to "Let them drink beer!"

mub said :
September 26, 2008 at 6:54 PM
The statiegeld is the bottle deposit. You can get it back when you return your bottles to the supermarket. There's usually a big machine with a hole in it that you put the bottles in, it'll spit out a receipt for the amount and then you can take it to the register and get your cash back =) It's on soda bottles and the like too, not just beer. Strangely though, it's -not- on wine bottles! I don't drink, but a few people say that the LIDL has a couple of decent cheap wines.
Lina said :
September 26, 2008 at 7:04 PM
Thanks for the tip Mub! As for Lidl, those few people you mention are quite right. Lidl is magic in general :)

Post a Comment