Permanent address: the hostel

Monday, July 28, 2008

(0) Comments

There hostels were people stay and there are those were travellers and backpackers live. Hostel Utrecht happens to be the latter one. Some stay because they get trapped (or lost shall I call it?) in the Neverlands.

There is a sweet Finnish boy who gets all excited just by the mention of the magic words pot, weed, chocolate you name it.

Then there is a talented American guy who despite speaking Dutch and Spanish (haven't heard other, but it is possible) actually works for a bed and food. Previously he was living in Yemen, but once the civil war started his family and friends asked him to leave. He says despite the war and the news he felt safe there and made many friends. I was trying to convince him that 400 Euro for a room is reasonable (anything will be reasonable after Dublin to me) and he told me he used to pay 80 Euro for a house in Yemen. I encouraged him to look for something in Amsterdam, but it is his life after all and his decisions.

There is Spanish looking guy who sleeps in the bed below me and that's exactly what he seems to be doing all the time - sleeping. Maybe he is waiting for a princess to wake him up. But how can you sleep all day long when it is 28 degrees?

And there are hordes of other all kind of people, who regardless of the filthy state of the hostel and intimate 16-bed dorms are here to explore the Neverlands. Until today I thought I might have to volunteer in exchange for the bed and food as well, but luckily I met a fantastic landlord Sjon and I have a place to live! Yey!!!
Bookmark this post:
Ma.gnolia DiggIt! Del.icio.us Yahoo Furl Technorati Spurl Reddit Google

0 Responses to "Permanent address: the hostel"

Post a Comment