Tag me and let me be your delicious: Lozano-Hemmer

Sunday, January 11, 2009

(0) Comments

Rafael Lozano-Hemmer's art work has become one of the most refreshing discoveries over the past few weeks.



The above embedded 'Close Up' is an interactive display that reflects the viewer's shadow which in fact consists of hundreds of tiny screens that display previously recorded videos of the people who have recently viewed the piece. Whenever the viewer advances towards the work, the screen starts recording her, instantaneously adding the video to the database that will be watched by the next viewer. In other words, the camera is used to recreate us through those who came before us. The artist calls his work "temporary antimonuments for alien agency", where the tools we mostly associate with surveillance, in this case the camera, are used in order to create an organic entity which would be impossible without the viewers' participation.

Tate Online provides an interesting talk that Lozano-Hemmer gave in 2007.

I came across the artist while researching metadata as I am currently writing a paper on folksonomies. Shame I wasn't among the lucky ones to attend a recent symposium in Goldsmiths ' Force of Metadata'. As Yuk Hui pointed out there, 'metadata is taking over content and changes both the products and mode of production of the web'. In other words, please tag me and let me be your Delicious.
Bookmark this post:
Ma.gnolia DiggIt! Del.icio.us Yahoo Furl Technorati Spurl Reddit Google

0 Responses to "Tag me and let me be your delicious: Lozano-Hemmer"

Post a Comment